Lisa Pugliese, R.N., L.Ac.
I have worked in the health-care field for more than 20 years. I began this journey as a registered nurse in the hospital setting. I loved being a nurse, but I always knew that my nursing degree would be the foundation for additional study or a new career. I considered becoming a nurse practitioner or a nurse midwife. However, when I discovered Chinese medicine, my future became clear to me. I enrolled in a Master of Traditional Oriental Medicine program.
Once I was licensed as an acupuncturist, I had the opportunity to work and learn with one of the most successful and talented acupuncturists in San Diego, Loisanne Keller, O.M.D. Like me, Dr. Keller had been a registered nurse, and she was also a naturopath. She was considered a specialist in women’s health and fertility.
Each week, I met with Dr. Keller for “grand rounds,” where we reviewed cases together. This was a unique learning experience not available to most acupuncturists. I learned at great deal from Dr. Keller and I was inspired to practice medicine with the same integrity, commitment, and skill that she did. In order to do this, I knew I would need to further my studies, especially in the field of functional medicine. I began my studies in functional medicine in 1999, and I continue to study both functional and nutritional medicine, especially as it pertains to women’s health.
My current practice is devoted to the care of women in all stages of life. Fertility is a large part of my practice and has been since 2001, when I successfully worked with my first “infertility” patient.
I was honored to be nominated for “Women Who Move The City!” in 2013 by San Diego Magazine.
-Lisa Pugliese, R.N., L.Ac.
B.S. in Nursing, Summa Cum Laude
University of Massachusetts, 1992
M.S. in Traditional Oriental Medicine
Summa Cum Laude
Pacific College of Oriental Medicine, 2000
I receive my inspiration to practice in three primary ways:
- First, I am inspired by the medicine itself. Natural remedies are powerful and can be life changing. Each day, more and more information is revealed about the impact of diet, supplements herbs and acupuncture on health and function. I continue to read, study and learn.
- Next, I am inspired by our bodies’ ability to endure in conditions of stress and illness, and, more importantly, to heal, change, grow, and thrive.
- Finally, I am inspired by my patients. Each day I am given the privilege to share in people’s lives, struggles, and victories. I am honored to walk down the path of healing with my patients and am truly grateful for the opportunity.
I have provided acupuncture treatment for embryo transfer success at the following offices:
- Dr. Gabriel Garzo | Reproductive Partners
- Dr. David B. Smotrich | La Jolla IVF Founder & Medical Director
- Dr. Arlene J. Morales and Dr. Wendy B. Shelly | Fertility Specialists Medical Group
- Dr. William P. Hummel and Dr. L. Michael Kettle | San Diego Fertility Center
- Dr. Brooke Friedman, MD and Dr. Suzanna Park MD| San Diego Fertility Center